Tuesday 5 April 2011

PLANTATION

keywords: Green structure, Landscape architecture, Trees, Urban Voids

Earlier design

For the subject about plantation we can study how planting trees or other green natural element can influence our design. Often architects include a green zone in their design. This can be in a form of a courtyard or the public space in front of a building. The urban planners and Landscape architects have more possibilities to play with plantation. Also in my earlier design I implement green structure into the design. My urban planning designs give me more possibilities to react on this. The project I will show for this subject is the one I did in my master 2 trajectory. It was an urban design studio for the city of Haarlem. What I tried was to make some green connections in the city to avoid urban voids in between. The picture below shows a structure map for the green structure in the city.

fig.1
Green structure Haarlem connecting the green elements in between



Future Design


fig. 2
Parque Linear de Manzaneres in Madrid Spain, a linear corridor in the city with still young trees. These trees in about 10 years will be till 18 meters wider in diameters and will give this corridor a complete other effect.


fig.3 Excel sheet from Territory by T.M. de Jong shows the grow in diameters of the tree in 5 (above) to 10 (under)years after the tree was planted







In order to help us future designer to design good parks or other type of green structures in our design Prof. T.M. de Jong create the excel sheet plantation where we can used different value to check how a type of tree grow with few years. It is also possible to choose different trees to check which one can be used as best one for the location and space in the design. Pictures blow shows some fragment of this process and the type of tree. I choose for the Plantanus x (x hybrida) and I took two fragment 3 years and 12 years after plantation.

In my earlier designs I know that I wanted the green elements to have an important role in the design. Especially in my urban design it is always for me very important that this part will be implanted in the design. Nevertheless I notice now that I do not go further into this area. In my earlier design in just call green "green" and that was enough for me. After following the course of Territory I notice that also an architect and a urban planner can do a lot with different type of plantation forms or trees. The landscape architect knows alot about this that we can learn. For example to know what type of plants to use in a design, to know how this tree grow and so on. The picture below shows an urban linear parque in the form of an corridor in the city of Madrid. On the picture the trees are still young and we can see nice pathted park. In about ten years the trees will be till 5 times wider and higher and will give the park a complete other look than now.

No comments:

Post a Comment